Art Nouveau Fear Machine 2000

January 29, 2011

Inspired by a message left on the answerphone of Steve Askew, this rework of ‘Fear Machine’ is really quite different from the original.  It also makes you wonder just what sort of phone calls Steve gets!!

When I first heard the track, I wasn’t convinced.  A few listens later and I really appreciated what had been done with the track.  I’m a big fan of the original, I think that’s a fantastic dark synth sound and everything about it was right.  This reworking gives the track a drum ‘n’ bass soundtrack and drops in some lovely acid towards the end, I’d like to think that was a bit of 303 action!

At around 3m into the track, the beat drops to leave the original Fear Machine line and then comes in that fantastic acid which stays with the track till the end unless we get to the beautiful crackle to fade.

Have a listen to the track, see what you think:

And then we have the original to compare, which is just such a superb track:

As you’ll hear, the two tracks are totally different, what do you think about Fear Machine 2000?

Related Posts:

January 29, 2011 9:56 am

I have to admit, Steve, I don’t really like this and much prefer the original…..

Would be interesting to see what everybody else thinks though.

• March 4, 2012 6:22 am

I’d have to agree, I defiantly like the original best. The remake is too modern, not very Art Nouveau…it’s a good track but not to be replaced by or even compared to the fantastic original!

2. January 30, 2011 1:18 am

never mind the track! look at those cute little faces! thet look about 15!!

3. January 30, 2011 1:51 pm

Agreed on this track not being a patch on the original, it’s just an interesting piece. The original in unbeatable but this one is a fun little version 🙂

Lulu, they do look very young here and they’ve barely changed!

January 30, 2011 6:55 pm

I would love to see Fear Machine (in it’s original form) played live by Kajagoogoo…….

• January 30, 2011 9:39 pm

Interesting call there Steve, what would happen with Limo though? Would he sing, step out or are we assuming he wouldn’t actually be there…… 😉

January 30, 2011 9:44 pm

he could share the vocal with Nick…….or step out. No different really to Limahl singing his solo stuff is it?

It might be interesting with a shared vocal.

It’s never gonna happen though. Unfortunately.

February 1, 2011 5:36 am

I love the remix. I have played it so many times over the past few years now that it has grown on me some what.

7. March 4, 2012 6:15 am

when i fist heard it it really freaked me out! I had another listen and loved it! Are these tracks still for sale anywhere?

• March 4, 2012 8:26 am

I’m afraid not Kristy. The only Art Noveau that you may occasionally see is the Fear Machine 7″ single (original version – not the 2000 one). Bootlegged CD-R discs do circulate though from time to time of other stuff.

8. March 4, 2012 6:26 am

Try playing the two versions in sync with each other…maybe just me, but i think it sounds pretty cool! 🙂

Trackbacks