Kajagoogoo….On This Day in History III

April 24, 2014

Today continues our series of anniversary posts that will be featured on KajaFax throughout 2014, as we look back at important events in the group’s history.

turn your back on me

Released on this day in 1984, ‘Turn Your Back on Me’ was a late addition to the Islands album, being conceived relatively late in the writing process.  The lyrics of the song, as written by Nick Beggs, tell an interesting and very personal tale, as Nick explains:

“I wrote the lyrics to this song after a close friend of mine used my identity in a fraud.  It all came to a head when the Police knocked on my door one night and wanted to arrest me for checking out of a Hotel and not settling the room bill.  However, it became clear that this individual had used my name and address without my consent, run up a hefty bill, and then disappeared.  The perpetrator was finally tracked down by the authorities.  I never spoke to him again!”

The single is also notable for its success both here and overseas – claiming the #2 position on the ‘Billboard Dance Charts’ in America, and also contributing to the gold sales figures achieved by the ‘Islands’ album in Japan.

Kajagoogoo 1984

Single sales were boosted by the issue of the standard 7″, an extended 12″ single, and this lovely 12″ picture disc:

both

There are also two versions of the video….here is one of them!

2014 KajaFax

1. JoanneB permalink
    April 24, 2014 7:21 am

Excellent stuff 🙂 thanks

• April 24, 2014 7:23 am

It doesn’t seem like that long ago does it??

Thanks for your comment Joanne. 🙂

April 25, 2014 1:42 am

This should have been a much bigger hit.

• April 25, 2014 7:22 am

I agree Denny. This is one of the best singles of 1984 and on my personal top 50 for the whole decade. I think that the backlash against the band was in full flow by this stage and this in turn was of detriment to sales figures. The music press just ‘had it in’ for them 😦

Should have been top 10.

3. Croxy Stuart permalink
    April 25, 2014 1:18 pm

Nick was deceive? by a close friend!? poor Nick :-(,but the song is still great ;-). But the song deserves a higher position on the charts 😦

4. April 25, 2014 6:21 pm

I listen to this song for several years and still I like this 🙂 KajaGooGoo and Depeche Mode forever 🙂