The Trappists – ‘Hush Hush’ – The 30 Year Anniversary Remix

January 19, 2013

The KajaFax team love remixes.  There are, of course, many remixes in circulation that either officially or unofficially slip onto the airwaves via the internet.

Today, we bring you one such mix that has come to our attention.

KajaGold

Entitled ‘Hush Hush’, this latest mix comes via an unusual source and has torn up the rulebook on the ‘traditional’ remix genre.  Billed as a “39 minute Too Shy excursion”, this really is the Kajagoogoo “Too Shy experience” for the 21st century listener….

We like this one a lot.

KajaFax caught up with ‘The Trappists’ to ask them all about the track and what inspired them to give it a particularly interesting and unique 21st Century makeover.  This is what they said….

“Hello KajaFax!  Thanks for taking an interest in our work!  We are an Anglo-Belgian alliance – an Englishman and a Belgian – based in Aalst, a small city in between Brussels and Ghent.  We issue re-mixes not only as ‘The Trappists’ but also under numerous other monikers.  Firstly, may I just state that this is, of course,  an unofficial remix!  With all of our re-edits, we try to add our own personality and take the tracks in different directions, and being no exception, ‘Too Shy’ started out in the same way as the other tracks we have re-worked.  With this one however, we did an initial 5-6 minute re-edit, but then just kept on going!  We quickly realised that wherever we were heading with the track, it was going to end up being extraordinarily long!  We have spent quite a bit of time on it, having put it together on and off over the last 18 months. The process started with the seminal Midnight Mix from the 12” single. and also the acapella from Limahl’s ’92 re-issue.  We added lots of extra percussion and synths (and a guitar solo performed by our colleague/producer) to build the whole piece and to create a flow between the various sections.  We finally completed it in December, and when we realised it was the 30th anniversary of the original release of the track, we thought the time was right to see just what people think of it.  So far, people seem to really like it.  It has been a real labour of love, so it would be thrilling for us if Kajagoogoo fans get to hear it and give positive feedback.  We think it says a lot about the quality of the original track that it sounds so good (if we may be so bold to say so) mutated and stretched out into such an ‘un-pop’ timeframe and format….”

So what is the fuss about?? Click on the below cover art to be taken to the official page, or if you prefer, you can listen to the track in full here via this embedded link:

If you enjoyed that, you may want to check out this page that contains many more of The Trappists 70’s and 80’s reworkings:

The guys are currently working on a host of other re-edit projects (including an album of diverse and bizarre Billy Ocean ‘Loverboy’ remixes) and original productions.  Why not bookmark the page?

We all know Too Shy as an ‘80s classic, UK and European #1, and top 5 hit in just about every other territory.  Computer games, remixes, cover versions, and movie appearances justify the ‘classic’ moniker.  The song even ranks at #27 on the VH-1 ‘Greatest Songs of the 80s’ poll.

Wouldn’t it be nice to see it reappear in the charts sometime in 2013?

Why not click on the below logo, download a copy,  and help make it happen?

2013 KajaFax

1. Elisa permalink
    January 20, 2013 9:54 am

OMG, I’m diggin it!! “Too Shy” probably seems too overplayed to some (as the band’s hallmark). But it’s always been a testament to all of the men in the band that got together & brought so many layers and life to sound. I’m not a fan of the synthesizer, but Stuart’s playing is an exception -plus I had a crush on him. Steve Askew’s awesome whammy bar rockin out. The baseline by Beggs is unforgettable & never old to for me. I always liked when the video started up with a shot of Jez giving the song the first beat/pulse with his kick and stick beat. Limahl……his voice is another wonderful gift.
    So many things, personalities and energies in this song. The mixes I’ve heard are not bad. But this one is nice & pays tribute to a jazzier playback! I LOVE it!
    When I used to dance (contemporary) I would try to find music to use or get the kids I taught to move to. The song was always a favorite as a child and now. Hush~hush!

• Elisa permalink
      January 20, 2013 10:02 am

Also, I always wanted to hear more a of a tunnel sound and whammy bar effect included more often in the remixes. This had a bit of emphasis in some areas which I liked alot! But I also believe in evolution & hope the band member continue with their own independence & grow with other music projects. But I love this remix! Cre8!

• January 20, 2013 10:15 am

Great comments Elisa. KajaFax must listen to a half dozen remixes a month of Kajagoogoo and Limahl tracks that we get sent or discover on the web and most of them are very ‘samey’ and un-original. This one was different and we did indeed love it, hence why we featured it on-site this week. It’s a remarkable piece of work and would be the perfect 12″ single to mark the anniversary of the track. If only we could make that happen, huh? I’m absolutely certain that over the coming days, we are going to get many positive comments on this mix. 🙂

2. Elisa permalink
    January 20, 2013 10:22 am

YES! I mostly love the intro (first 7minutes) to introduce the premise & then expaaaand it out. It’s the age of Aquarius (the airy independent energy that flies on it’s own meter). The Trappists did a kick-boo-Tay job! I’m gonna listen to their Scritti Politti mix next. But, “Hush Hush” good! Cheers! 😀 Oh, & gracias Steve for your work with this site! 😀

• January 20, 2013 10:25 am

Thanks Elisa. Steve C and Myself do the best job that we can 🙂 You can never have too much Goo, right? 🙂

• Elisa permalink
        January 20, 2013 10:53 am

OoooGA-GooGA-goo-goo, hush hush, eye to eye! 3:00 – 3:50 is the cut for me! I’ve always felt like a phoenix rising from the ashes on that part. It was mixed well in the original & put together well in the remix! Also liked that they (Trappists) added their own strings in the back ground. There’s the metal rocker in me too that loves it. But Steve’s whammy part was always a favorite along with Stewart/Stuart’s synth reverb. Okay, enough out of me. Rue the day!

3. Will permalink
    January 20, 2013 11:58 am

Great work and much cred goes out to the trappists ! I agree with Steve and thing that we need this on a cd or record or something.

Brilliant work. 10/10.

4. Harry permalink
    January 20, 2013 1:16 pm

Perfect!

5. Pinky permalink
    January 20, 2013 2:14 pm

I love how the first seconds are taken from The Tube interview which happened to be the first ‘Goo thing I saw on YouTube.
    I normally get easily bored with mixes but this one is fresh and ..well, I can’t really describe it…but I love it!
    This mix should get played loads everywhere.
    A big thumbs up for The Trappists!

6. John B permalink
    January 20, 2013 5:25 pm

This is great. Thanks Kajafax and thank you Trappists. 🙂

7. Jeannie permalink
    January 20, 2013 10:32 pm

OMG! I really really like this remix. Is it coming out on a CD?

• January 21, 2013 5:57 pm

It’s unofficial so a CD is not very likely unfortunately 😦

Where are the bootleggers when you need them, huh?? 🙂

8. Sharon Stoney permalink
    January 21, 2013 5:52 pm

Hello Kajafax!

I have been listening to the Too Shy trappist mix endlessly since finding it on your site. I love it!!

Thanx xx

9. January 22, 2013 7:29 pm

Hello kajafans, thanks for all the positive feedback so far! Here’s a big up to TheRaggedTiger:

Trackbacks