Video Exclusive – The CBTV Kajagoogoo Special (Complete Show)

April 14, 2013

As the grand finale to our video season, KajaFax want to bring you a really special video treat.  A huge thanks to KajaFan ‘Dawn’ for providing us with the original tape for this one!

cbtv

As a result of the massive interest in the band at the time of their launch, Kajagoogoo were the subject of numerous high profile TV specials that were broadcast across Britain in the early part of 1983.  One such show was the CBTV Special.  Rarely seen nowadays, most fans probably thought that the show was lost forever, buried somewhere in a cellar never to be aired again.  Thankfully, this is not the case.  KajaFax has been given a copy on videotape of the show and has converted in from its original off air VHS recording to a digital format in order for you to watch.

The show is a remarkable insight into the band as they prepare for the launch of Too Shy and takes us behind the scenes at EMI Records, Utopia Studios, and of course those all important live shows.  It is a real treat.

Without further ado, here it is.  For those of you located in Germany, we understand that YouTube have blocked the video.  Not to be perturbed, we have converted the original DVD content to a smaller file size  and made it downloadable for your enjoyment.   Click on the below link to obtain your lower resolution copy if you are unable to stream it directly:

download-hereWe hope you enjoy the show!  Thank you for visiting KajaFax!

2013 KajaFax

1. April 14, 2013 12:34 am

wow ! sharing on facebook and twitter ! this is a great footage thanks steve !

• April 14, 2013 8:59 am

Thanks Rocio 🙂 Steve C and I were really excited about this one as a lot of fans (including Duran fans who followed KGG) have wanted to see it again for such a long time. Finding a complete copy like this on an old tape was exciting for me as I knew that we had something really special to give the KajaFax readers. I’m glad that in a few short hours, people have been so kind as to pass comments. It’s the comments and the stats that prove to us that people are interested! 🙂

If only we could get Mark Ronson and Nick Rhodes into the studio with Kajagoogoo and give the band an ‘All You Need Is Now’ moment of their own!;)

2. Nir Perry permalink
    April 14, 2013 1:24 am

Thank you so much!! an amazing footage!!!

April 14, 2013 3:24 am

Oh WOW! I did kind of hope that this would be big surprise at the end. I read about this in an old Look-In over 15 years ago and have been gagging to see it ever since. It got a repeat screening just after Limahl left.

• April 14, 2013 9:05 am

🙂 Thanks Denny. Steve C and Myself seem to ‘find’ these things from time to time and it all helps keep KajaFax fresh. We knew this would be a winner and could not wait to share it with the fans 🙂

I’m so pleased that you enjoyed it – I’m the same as you and had not seen the show since it was originally aired. I assumed it had been wiped and was lost forever….

Thanks for commenting, and thanks to ‘Dawn’ who is the KajaFan that originally supplied me with the brilliant old tape that I was able to convert to DVD. The tape is crammed full of clips of Saturday Superstore, TVAM and other such shows and has lots of Adam Ant and Wham! footage on there too.

A gem for which I am very grateful.

• Denny permalink
        April 14, 2013 5:58 pm

Well according to Lost Shows, all of CBTV exists in the archives. I couldn’t do a search for Data Run as the words are too common for their database. I seem to remember seeing some of the footage on Bands Reunited but this is the first time I have seen the full show 🙂

Was there any Culture Club stuff on that tape?

• April 14, 2013 6:37 pm

No Culture Club I’m afraid Denny. If there had have been, you would have been the first to know as I know how mega a ‘Culture Vulture’ you are. Speaking of which, did you catch the re-run of ‘Young Guns’ on BBC4 last night about the band? Its an edited repeat of the original broadcast from the late 1990’s…..

• Denny permalink
        April 15, 2013 12:10 pm

Oh well worth asking just in case. Discovered recently there’s quite a few BBC and ITV shows that featured Kaja, Culture Club, Duran etc. missing from the archives and I’m not getting much response from the fan forums even though I know some of this stuff exists in private hands 😦

I didn’t catch Young Guns this time round but I think I have it on tape a couple of times already. I did ask someone else if it was the original or an edited version and was told it was the original…. Someone else said it was cropped for widescreen which would have annoyed me. LOL

4. Pink permalink
    April 14, 2013 6:14 am

Awesome! Very interesting to get an idea of what it was like back then being on and off the road. Really nice to see the other people working for them explain what they do. Talented, working hard, having fun..great to see this. I really love this band. Thank you!

5. Will permalink
    April 14, 2013 10:40 am

This is brilliant and very nice to see behind the scenes on the tour.

Thanks.

6. April 14, 2013 11:54 am

Really enjoyed watching this one, fantastic work Steve!

It gives such an insight into how crazy it all was back at the start and the size of the operation. I love the backstage parts, really cool to see that and talking about the lighting rig.

I think this was the last of the big lost videos that we knew existed, unless I’m forgetting something!

• April 14, 2013 12:41 pm

Nothing springs to mind, Steve. I’m sure there will be things out there though. Islands tour footage would be nice but we mentioned that on many previous occasions with no luck.

Nick would know if they were ever filmed back then – we need to ask him!

7. ADCV permalink
    April 14, 2013 11:55 pm

God! is great! thank you very much Steve!!

8. kira permalink
    April 15, 2013 12:02 am

thanks steve!!! it was super!!!

• April 15, 2013 5:52 pm

Glad that you enjoyed it Kira. A lot of people seem to have liked this post 🙂

• kira permalink
        April 15, 2013 6:20 pm

especially me because i left england and moved to sweden in 1983,so i never managed to see it when they showed in on tv.finally ,after all these years 🙂

9. Patricio Maldonado Keybords Singer permalink
    April 15, 2013 8:42 pm

thanks very good , Im Patrik from Chile.
    I like Jupiter 8 of steve askew XD.
    My son Fabian is fan of Nick Beggs
    16 MAY 2013 NICK BEGGS WITH STEVEN WILSON on TEATRO CAUPOLICAN SANTIAGO CHILE …

10. 5-r permalink
    April 15, 2013 10:18 pm

Really nice stuff. I think, maybe KajaFax can make some interisting bootlage CD-r DVD-r available to us for 30th anniversary of the band 😉

• April 15, 2013 10:27 pm

That would be a lovely idea….. The thing to remember of course is that we do have a good relationship with the band, so would not want to do anything on the ‘bootleg front’ to upset them 🙂

You are right though, it would be very nice for KajaFax to spearhead the release of some form of commemorative item….

• Denny permalink
        April 17, 2013 6:00 pm

CBTV was a Thames production so Network would probably have first say over a release of CBTV material. However I don’t think their music releases have sold so well. The volume they did on The Tube must have a cost them a small fortune but to date no further volumes have been released. Network are the best hope for any releases from the ITV archive but it all depends on the region and costs. Nothing from the TVS archive can be accessed and I think ITV themselves have first option over certain regions programs.

11. Cris permalink
    April 16, 2013 8:14 am

How wonderful Steve, thank you so much.
    I adore the backstage parts, the fan hype and especially those in the studio, giving an insight on how the songs were built (will have to update you on a similar matter soon)… What a spectacular immersion in life and the world at the time of Kajagoogoo. How I loved it, how I missed it from Italy and how you are now filling in the gaps!!!
    As regards Mark Ronson and Nick Rhodes, you know my Kajafan opinion don’ t you?!?!?!?!?!!!
    Thanks again and all the best

• April 16, 2013 8:24 pm

Thanks Cris. All thanks to Dawn who sent me the tape though – she has been an absolute gem. The KGG Special is a really enjoyable show that I saw when first aired and never thought I would see again. I’m so pleased that it has been so popular with a decent number of YouTube stats and comments on this site. Steve C and I love reader comments – it makes all of our efforts worthwhile.

I knew that you were on-board with my Ronson ideas too 🙂 We think alike with that one I know. Unlikely to happen, but a nice pipe-dream….

Keep viewing the site – we have lots more to come and hopefully before long something new to report. The fans want it for sure, maybe if we all wish hard enough???

12. Harry permalink
    April 16, 2013 8:18 pm

This is the BEST, so thanks Kajafax.

Keep up the great work.

13. Kerry permalink
    April 19, 2013 11:29 am

Great Archive footage. One of the best finds in pop music history. Well done guys.
    Love the site. Keep up the good work.