KajaGooGoo Cassettes

March 16, 2011

One thing often ovelooked by collectors is the cassette tape.  They’re often counterfeit and they degrade even without use.  They’re still interesting items though and they are part of the back catalogue.

Here we have a selection of Goo tapes:

White Feathers (Australia), Islands (UK) and Crazy People’s Right to Speak (UK)

Many thanks to Steve for sharing his cassette tapes with us, they are brilliant.  One from my collection is this release of White Feathers which if my memory serves me correctly comes from South Africa.  I particularly liked this one because of the fact it is called ‘White Feather’:

As said earlier, cassettes are easier to counterfeit so collectors shoul always be aware of that when seeking them out.  One example of that is this cassette, cheap budget type compilation:

Personally, tapes are the format that was most around for me when growing up, so I have a soft spot for them.

If you have any Goo cassettes not featured here, please do send some photos in to add into the post.

I think tapes will go down for us as a nice item but not something we’d break our necks to get hold of.

Now, if you were to talk about 8 track cartridge……

Related Posts:

1. March 16, 2011 4:28 pm

The copy of White Feathers with the typo is from Saudi Arabia, would you believe? I recognise the label. Mine is from Canada. The track order was re-arranged. I’ll have to scan it for you sometime. Easier for me to find things from there because I live in Upstate New York. The other two albums I have on boring US tapes from the budget bin. I ordered Kaja over the phone, and Islands I found by chance, but was in bad shape.
    I wouldn’t mind the pirate tapes. I have a few myself, as well as pirate CDs and LPs. The comp may be from Indonesia or Poland.

March 16, 2011 6:57 pm

Hi John,

The compiliation is, I believe, from Poland.

As for bootleg CD’s, there don’t seem to be many KGG titles around unfortunately.

I keep looking though. 🙂

Maybe one day.

2. Madison permalink
    March 16, 2011 7:02 pm

Did KGG release anything on 8 track?

3. NINa permalink
    March 16, 2011 9:36 pm

That last compilation may be from Poland indeed. How many of those tapes were released officially with a permission from EMI? 😀 I remember there were legal stores in Poland in the early 90’s where you could come with your clean tapes /or buy at the place/ and order which CDs you’d like to have burnt from their catalogues then come next week and pay for the tapes with music ready to take home! Most of tapes in music stores were produced by some shady companies most probably without no license for duplication. Crazy times.

March 16, 2011 10:14 pm

I only have the one Kaja tape which is a copy of Islands from the UK like the one above. I would like more but I have to check them myself as there are hundreds of fakes out there. The big give away is the lack of copyright info and spelling mistakes but in the 1980’s some of these tapes were very well done.

March 16, 2011 10:33 pm

The ones originating from the middle east are the best. There was always someone at school who had a Dad or Uncle that worked for an oil company and thus had an unlimited supply of dodgy albums on tape.

Usually the same people with the pirate VHS tapes.

🙂

I like those Chinese DVDs too. The ones in polythene bags with covers but no hard cases. I went to China in 2002 and came back with 50+ of those movies, but only spent about £25. I was surprised I got through customs at the airport to be honest. 🙂

March 16, 2011 10:38 pm

on the subject of Chinese counterfeit goods and what I fetched back to the UK from Shenzhen……I remember my Mum asking how I could be so sure that the double CD by ‘The Carpenters’ I had bought for her on ‘Snoy Music’ records was actually fake.

😉