Nick Beggs on Pop Quiz 1984

January 26, 2011

Back in the eighties, a BBC quiz show called ‘Pop Quiz’, hosted by DJ Mike Read, was a very popular.

It featured two teams of pop stars answering music trivia questions.

The show regularly achieved audiences of over 10 million viewers,  and was essential viewing for any music fan.

The episode we bring today featured Nick Beggs alongside his team mates Phil Lynott and Derek Forbes.

The opposing team featured Alvin Stardust, Morrissey and the ever gorgeous Kim Wilde.

Luckily, this episode is in our archive, and we would like to share it with you now:

See you next time!

January 26, 2011 12:25 pm

WOW!
    Thank you Steve. I have been gagging to see that.

• January 26, 2011 12:30 pm

Superb! Credit for this one all goes to Mr Tiger who found it, fettled it and uploaded it! It is fantastic 🙂

January 26, 2011 12:49 pm

all I need to find now is a decent copy of the Oxford Roadshow pwrformance……….the version on YouTube is not very good.

Was well pleased with this little find though! The original in in full first generation VHS, so it looks OK on a large screen.

• Denny permalink
      January 26, 2011 2:17 pm

I assumed it was from your own collection from back in the day. Is that not so? If not where did you find it 🙂

January 26, 2011 4:03 pm

To be honest, Denny, I found it on a google search.

I knew that Nick had been on the show as I watched it at the time, and had taped it to keep (or so I thought). Unfortunately, my copy effectively died along with my Philips Video 2000 machine. Needless to say that as ‘Video 2000’ was an obsolete format even then, my tapes were binned sometime around 1989/90.

I actually found this by searching around random forums and webpages for all of the other artists that I remembered appearing on the show. I didn’t get any luck searching any Kajagoogoo references at all.

I eventually got my lucky break on a forum dedicated to Morrissey, which I had to join in order to access the necessary torrent file. Although it was a couple of years old, one person was still seeding the (DVD VOB)file, and I managed after some time to download it.

I have spent many hours searching for Kajagoogoo torrents, and all I ever find is that nasty one on Pirate Bay that bundles up all of the albums into one big zip file…..

I figured that a different approach may yield results, and for once it paid off.

It always surprises me how little there is out there on the web. I mean, all the home recorded TV content that people upload for other artists, and all I ever found Goo related is this ‘Pop Quiz’ one, that clip from ‘The Tube’, the band on Kenny Everett doing ‘Too Shy’ (which I taped off the TV anyway), Sopot Festival 2008, and the two performances from the ‘Bananas’ show.

The only other source is ‘You Tube’ but that is not really good enough quality for burning to DVD and watching on a large screen…..

There must be more stuff somewhere, and I intend to find it!

January 26, 2011 6:52 pm

Oh I see. I had found the opening of this ep on YT before listed as Morrissey. It really was just the opening credits and Mike Reid introducing tha band. It was also v poor quality.

Someone uploaded the first part of an episode with Limahl but the audio was muted just hours after the upload.

• January 26, 2011 8:04 pm

Big shame that the audio was pulled from the Limahl appearance on this show, would be nice if it turns up again somewhere. Would be nice to find that CBTV White Feathers special we spoke about recently too.

4. Lee Halbert permalink
    January 27, 2011 4:58 pm

Anyone else think the questions are fixed, Nick is a big fan of Peter Gabriel/Tony Levin & Thomas Dolby

• Lee Halbert permalink
      January 27, 2011 5:04 pm

And a little later through Mick Karn/Japan!

January 28, 2011 5:56 pm

now you come to mention it………..perhaps!

5. January 30, 2011 1:26 am

I keep getting mixed feelings about al these things you keep finding, onone hand they inspire great memories on the other hand, i am remembering how old I am. When this was recorded I went with Linda (another of the original superfans who was most keen on Nick). i think we got into the complex through an open fire exit ( a usual method) and then went hunting about, sadly on this occasion we met security before any friendly faces and got slung out!

February 1, 2011 10:04 pm

Fantastic! What a great story!

6. Simon permalink
    November 28, 2011 2:02 pm

The first member of Kajagoogoo to appear on Pop Quiz was actually Steve Askew. His appearance was broadcast 9 April 1983. Would love to see that episode again. Does anyone have a copy they can share?