KajaGooGoo Video EP VHS

January 23, 2011
tags: ,
by

Anything retro these days is viewed as being interesting, and I think it won’t be long until VHS starts to become a bit retro.  Okay it’s a tired format but a lot of people will still have a VHS player in their living room or at least a bunch of tapes in a drawer or a cupboard.  That sort of presence will keep the video playing for a little while longer yet!

One such item that I do love is this three track Video EP re-release from 1983 on VHS.  I’m hoping someone will confirm for me whether this item was released on Betamax or not also?

It features three tracks, ‘Too Shy‘, ‘Ooh to be Ah‘ and ‘Hang on Now‘.  These were a great way to see the videos, in the days long before YouTube (kids these days don’t know they’re born etc).

This item leads on to three items which unfortunately, I own none of!  The first being the laserdisc version of this EP, the second being a four track version of this VHS with Big Apple also, and the third being the laserdisc of that four track EP.

I found fairly recently that the Videozone software on the PS3 which is a free service where you can search for music videos from a large library and play them on demand has KajaGooGoo tracks so it is possible to have the videos on your main television without hauling the VHS back down from the loft.  Saying that, if I had this on Betamax, I’d be buying a top loader for sure and giving it pride of place in the living room!!

I do feel quite nostalgic about the video format, it was the very first piece of technology that I remember having a big impact on me as a kid.  I can still remember the moment in the car getting a lift home from school from my dad when he told me they’d bought a video recorder and I got home utterly delighted to find a wonderful Betamax machine there in all its ‘soon to be destroyed by VHS’ glory.

So, is this one rare?  Well, I’ve seen the odd one come up for sale in my time as an active Goo collector.  That just means that they don’t get sold often though, not that they are rare.  I’d suggest that as I mentioned at the beginning of the post, VHS hasn’t completely become discarded yet in many homes so this one will be sat in a bunch of cupboards somewhere with a hundred other tapes doing nothing.  I can imagine the car boot sales to be a good source for this one also.  Good luck!

The video above was confirmed to be a re-release by Denny.  He has very kindly photographed his original release, on VHS in card packaging.

He also notes that there is an extra bit to the picture to the left of Jez and at the bottom.

The  bottom is sealed on this, the cassette is removed from the top:

Many thanks to ‘Steven AKA Denny’ for providing the photos.

1. Lee Halbert permalink
    January 23, 2011 8:36 am

Yep, Betamax too.

I remember having the option of buying this or the live video, regretted choosing this for years (these were the days before EBay!). The shop also had the laser discs in too. I remember vividly because it was a big department store in Newcastle that was closing down and I bought loads of things.

I have them both now though.

January 23, 2011 9:46 am

This is the Video Music Collection re-issue which is not too hard find. I also have the first issue that came in a card cover, that’s open at the bottom and not the side, and was released by EMI (who later set up PMI for their music video releases).

One thing to note is, the picture on the cover of the reissue is cropped slightly along the bottom and left hand side. This is where the picture had originaly folded over the left hand side. You can only spot it when you hold the 2 side by side.

3. January 23, 2011 9:58 am

Hi Lee,

Thanks for confirming the Betamax release, that’s now firmly on my wanted list, as is the live show video.

I can firmly understand why you wish you’d chosen the live video over this one, they are a world apart in content.

The thought now of a department store offloading shelves of videos and laserdiscs is amazing, oh to be there now!

4. January 23, 2011 10:00 am

Very interesting info there Denny, if you could and me photos of your original I could add them into this post 🙂

January 23, 2011 10:58 am

I too have seen Betamax versions of this release.

As far as I know, the 4 track version containing ‘Big Apple’ was a Japan only LaserDisc release.

In the past, I have had a VHS copy of this which I trashed a year or two ago as it was worn out. I have it on Laser Disc (the 3 track version) that I have owned sealed from new, although I got that as old stock from a store some years ago.

I am not a lover of tapes really, but may at some point add some to my collection. Audio and viseo tapes don’t have the same appeal as Vinyl for me! I always wondered if ‘White Feathers’ was issued on 8-track cartridge too – I have one of those machines that I bought ‘from new’ a while ago. Manufactured in 1976 and never taken from it’s box! The USA were still issuing 8-track tapes until the mid 1980’s, so finding some 8-track Kajagoogoo releases is, in theory, not impossible! It would probably be a ‘club edition’ though. Denny may know more about this – I have seen Culture Club albums on US 8-track tapes before now, although I don’t own any! Denny, if you are reading this, I would love to know if you have any info.

Just as a matter of interest, I have blu-ray, LD, VHS & DVD machines connected to my TV. My VHS deck is a combo with my DVD recorder, but is barely used.

Now you all think I am a retro-geek!! Ha ha. 😉

• Denny permalink
      January 23, 2011 12:58 pm

I know the first 3 Culture Club albums came out on 8 track but I am yet to see any Kajagoogoo albums released in this format 🙂

January 23, 2011 1:22 pm

Thanks Denny!

• January 23, 2011 4:52 pm

You know you need a videodisc player in there aswell Steve!

January 23, 2011 7:10 pm

Oh yes, I forgot to mention the CED Videodisc player! Would love to get my hands on one of those…

This is a great discussion!

• January 23, 2011 9:24 pm

I’ve considered buying a laserdisc player on a few occasions but then get bitten by the ‘dream is better than the reality’ bug which tells me not to bother!! I think my next retro hook up will be another Atari 2600!

6. January 23, 2011 2:14 pm

This is one of my favourite aspects of this site. I’d never claim to have the deepest knowledge so it’s fantastic to get these discussions going and learn more along the way 🙂

7. Kelly permalink
    January 23, 2011 2:35 pm

I have both the Kajagoogoo Video EP and White Feathers Tour on Betamax. Sadly, my Betamax died years ago and I’ve got nothing to watch these 2 great videos on.

• January 23, 2011 2:41 pm

The tour on Betamax sound utterly fantastic, if you have easy access to it and fancied taking some snaps of the box and tape and emailing them in, that would be fantastic! That’s worth getting another Betamax for, top loader style!

• Kelly permalink
        January 23, 2011 2:56 pm

I can email you some pics. What email address do I send them too?

8. January 23, 2011 4:50 pm

Pictures received, many thanks for that Kelly, what a fantastic thing it is!! Brings back fond memories of our Betamax player for sure, those tapes!! Keep an eye for it being published very soon 🙂

9. October 21, 2012 5:27 am

Hello from Atlanta. I have an extremely rare, excellent copy of the White Feathers EP on betamax (NTSC region only) that I’ll be posting on ioffer.com as well as Amazon.com in days to come. However, should someone want a pre-sale opportunity to purchase, I’ll accept offers through Nov. 1st, at 12:01am.