Rare Limahl Album Version

November 26, 2010

If you’re a fan of Limahl, you’ll know he released his debut solo album ‘Don’t Suppose’ in 1984.  What you might not know is that there is a very rare version of this album in existence, and a very rare japanese picture disc version also.  These versions are rare because of a track they do feature, and a track they don’t feature.

EMI had already released this album before Limahl was chosen to record the theme music for ‘The Neverending Story’, therefore this track originally missed the album.  The first release of the album included a live track called ‘The Greenhouse Effect’.  On the success of ‘The Neverending Story’, the album was pulled by EMI, and a switch of tracks was made.  ‘The Greenhouse Effect’ was removed and replaced by ‘The Neverending Story’.

The track is a rare track, though it can also be heard on the B-Side of the ‘Tar Beach’ single.

It is a rare item in regular vinyl form, an even rare item in japanese picture disc form.  If you want one, expect to pay more for it, if you own one, it’s worth a few bob 🙂

So, if you own the album, have a look and see if you have the common one or the rare one!!

And here for your viewing pleasure, pictures of the japanese picture disc release, owned by my good friend and fellow Goo fan, J’nae.

Front of Album in Jacket and Front of Insert.

Back of Jacket and Back of Insert.

Front of Picture Disk, Inside Left Page of Insert

Back of Picture Disk, Inside Right Page of Insert.

Close up of Back of Picture Disc showing Track Listings.

As you can see in the last photo there, ‘The Neverending Story’ is missing from the listing, replaced by ‘The Greenhouse Effect’.

Many fans believe that ‘The Neverending Story’ sits a lot better on the album but that’s a different story!  Many people think environmental issues are a new thing, but here we have Limahl singing about the subject back in 1984.

Many thanks to J’nae for the photos.

1. J'nae Rae Spano permalink
    November 26, 2010 9:37 pm

I was very surprised when the album arrived and I found if had ‘The Greenhouse Effect’ instead of ‘The Neverending Story.’ I had been hearing such an album existed but no one seemed to have actually seen one at the time.

Your welcome for the use of the pictures. I’m pleased to share with the rest of the Goo and Limahl fans out there. 🙂

J’nae

2. RealShyBoy permalink
    December 2, 2010 7:14 pm

I want it!!!
    I don’t think I’ve seen that one before with it’s full obi strip and die cut sleeve and lyric book, very rare to find a complete one, if at all.
    Absolute treasure.
    🙂

3. J'nae Rae Spano permalink
    December 2, 2010 8:27 pm

Hate to tell you RealShyBoy this one isn’t for sale. Check with EIL. They are where I got this one from. They did at one time have an other one. Haven’t seen an ad for it from them in a while though so it may have sold already.

• December 2, 2010 8:58 pm

I often keep an eye out for this one and haven’t seen it come up since I’ve been looking. It’s one of those where it has to be bought regardless of price as there isn’t the choice out there to hold out for a better priced one 🙂

• J'nae Rae Spano permalink
        December 2, 2010 10:07 pm

Oh, I agree. That’s how I ended up with it in the first place. Couldn’t resist getting the picture disc despite having two vinyl copies already. 🙂 Well worth having spent the money.

4. RealShyBoy permalink
    December 5, 2010 11:19 pm

I’ll keep a look out for it as I’d really love a copy, I’ve been using eil records for years, they do a finding service so I may ask if they can track one down.
    I’m sure you’ll treasure yours 🙂

Japan did some amazing pressings in the 80s, I have lots that i’ve collected.

Trackbacks