Kajagoogoo – Big Apple Scarce Promotional Copy

September 24, 2014

Today’s item of collectors’ memorabilia is a little bit special – dating back to late 1983 and the band’s fourth single.  Big Apple was the first track to be written for the Islands album in the spring of 1983 – whilst Limahl was still in the band.  Conflicting ideas were being exchanged on the direction that the new album would take – differences that would ultimately to lead to Kajagoogoo’s fragmentation.  Limahl had written ‘Only for Love’, a song that would have surely cemented Kajagoogoo’s place into the premier league of pop.  In the other camp, Jez, Steve, Stuart and Nick had written the equally good ‘Big Apple’ and ‘On a Plane’.

What happened next is history…

Big Apple Promo Poster

To promote the single, the guys shot a great video in New York. Here is that video now in great HQ quality in its original form – complete with the original ‘screeching tyres’ that featured on its original release – no re-mastered overdubs here….

disclaimer

Blocked in your country? Stream the video HERE

Available commercially as both a 7” & 12” single,  the song reached UK #8.  Also on issue (and the subject of today’s article) was this fabulous promotional copy, complete with wraparound sleeve and DJ catalogue number.

**click on each image to open a full size version in your browser**

The inner section of the wrap-around outer sleeve contained a group photo, accompanied by an interesting written section telling the tale of how the single (as well as the four piece band!) came to be.  We know that one or two of you out there have one of these in your collection, but for those that have not, be prepared for a long wait – they don’t come up for sale very often 🙂

Big Apple Inner (Folded Out)

Thanks for visiting KajaFax – see you again soon!

2014 KajaFax

1. Roger permalink
    September 24, 2014 2:38 pm

I have never seen one of those before. How rare are they ?

• September 24, 2014 6:05 pm

I’m not entirely sure Roger. I have never seen one come up on ebay before, and there are no images online other than these to give us any clues. I’m guessing that they are fairly thin on the ground, although there are KajaFax subscribers that own them for sure. We did a feature a few years ago that showcased a fan collection that contained a copy.

Not in this much detail though 😉

September 24, 2014 6:40 pm

I picked one up off Ebay several years ago now as a fairly cheap Buy It Now . Mine had the wrap around outer cover over the top of a normal copy of the record in picture cover. I also have a DJ promo 7″ that came in a plain sleeve. It is very nice but this is the only other copy I have seen so it’s very rare indeed.

• September 24, 2014 10:06 pm

Thanks for that Denny 🙂 I have a feeling that it was Richard Kompass who may have had the only other copy that I have ever seen – unless it was yours of course! Either way, there aren’t too many about it would seem.

I’m just glad that I have one – like you, I love collecting 😉

3. Richard permalink
    September 30, 2014 9:15 pm

Yes, that is true, but, the picture disc? I have never seen that one…, the promo 7, yes, and the spain promo, and the Japanese 7 promo, and the cassette, 10 copies fr.o.m. germany, fr.o.m. Bravo magazine, but I have never seen a picture disc record big Apple.

• October 1, 2014 5:49 pm

Richard, you are exactly right and have spotted the mistake in my article 🙂 Many thanks for taking the time out to both read and comment – I guess it’s my week for mistakes….

I have corrected the article – thanks again for bringing this to my attention.

Steve.