Ellis Beggs and Howard

February 25, 2011

In March 1987, Nick Beggs teamed up with keyboard player ‘Simon Ellis’ and singer ‘Austin Howard’ to form a new band, simply known as ‘Ellis Beggs and Howard’.

The band starting off gigging around London including playing at highly popular nightclub ‘Heaven’,  before later playing bigger arenas.  Initially, the press were less than supportive of the band, mainly as a reaction to Nick Beggs’ association with Kajagoogoo.  The band were to go on to be more popular in Europe than here in the United Kingdom.

The debut single, ‘Big Bubbles No Troubles’ was received very well indeed and it the best known of the singles released by the band, winning awards across Europe for both the song and video.

The single reached No.41 in the UK charts with the 1989 remix.

Big Bubbles No Troubles
Video courtesy of SenorSenor:

As Nick explained on his website, the single was really quite different to the rest of the album ‘Homelands’ and therefore the album was not as successful as the single.

Including the remix, four singles were released in total, three in 1988 and the remix following in 1989.

After the disappointing lack of support for Homelands, the band did work on a second album between 1991 and 1992 which remained unreleased for many years.  This album did see a digital release much later, entitled ‘Ellis Beggs and Howard – The Lost Years Vol 1’.

In February 2009, Nick announced on his site that he had put together unreleased tracks recorded from 1989, and a third album was born, ‘Ellis Beggs and Howard – The Lost Years Vol 2’.  In a nod to the less than perfect sound quality of the tracks and also to the faithful fans of the band, Nick released this album free of charge from his official site where it can still be downloaded:

Note on that page, the incredible painting of the band done by Ronnie Wood, it really is a wonderful piece.

There are many videos on YouTube of EBH, do have a listen if you aren’t familiar with the bands material.  I love their sound and I’m sure you will too.  The band may have been short lived, but the material they have released really was outstanding and will always be available for our listening pleasure.

They will always go down as a hugely important piece in the musical career of Nick Beggs.

These days, things have worked out pretty well for Simon Ellis.  He is a very successful musical director working with such acts as Spice Girls, Britney Spears, S Club 7, Jamelia, East 17 and Belinda Carlisle.

He has also written and produced tracks for many top artists.

Nick Beggs is currently touring with Kim Wilde and hopefully having ideas about more Goo concerts!! 😉

1. Florian permalink
    February 25, 2011 10:01 am

” The band were to go on to be more popular in Europe than here in the United Kingdom”

As far as I know, the UK is also a European Country;)

Big Bubbles No Troubles:
    NL: No. 13
    D: No. 16
    CH: No. 18
    A: No. 20

Where Did Tomorrow Go:
    D: No. 55

Homelands (Album):
    D: No. 64

Quite successful 🙂

• February 25, 2011 11:19 am

You are right Florian, that should have been Continental Europe!

2. February 25, 2011 10:51 am

I met Austin at Nick’s inaugural solo gig, in Kensington about 7 years ago. A very nice chap, and he looked no older than in the EB&H years!

I believe he’s dabbled with writing (plus some comedy work!), and he’s also still recording. He re-made “Big Bubbles No Troubles” in 2006: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLDX-qUwDwo

… and also recorded the superb “Heaven Knows” for “Rise Of The Foot Soldier”, a film about London / Essex crime gangs:

• February 25, 2011 11:20 am

Brilliant, thanks Ben! 🙂

I love that film, excellent.

3. February 25, 2011 12:58 pm

I went to see EBH at the Greyhound I think in Fulham. They were excellent but sadly I didnt hang about afterwards, my boyfriend at the time would have had a sense of humour failure and I didnt think Nick would remember me. I was only wrong about the second thing. I was quite surprised they were not playing bigger venues they had quite a good cult following as i recall. I seem to remember there might have been a gig at the camden round house as well but i couldnt swear to it, my memory is not what it was!

• February 25, 2011 2:59 pm

Yeah it turns out Nick would certainly have remembered you Lulu!! 🙂

4. Lee Halbert permalink
    February 25, 2011 2:15 pm

Austin is in a band called Ruff As Stone, some clips on You Tube. They remind me very much of the rocky side of EBH.

I loved EBH, a great time in my life. I have a promo of BBNT which Nick sent to me before release with a personal message on the vinyl itself. I also have a promo cassette from an RCA records rep which contained a track called Mountains which Nick didn’t have. He revised Vol 2 of the Lost Years to include this track, just in case people downloaded this when it first appeared on the website hey may have missed it.
    I never managed to see the band live, had tickets to see them support Tpau but it was he only date on the tour they didn’t play. Also had ticket for a gig in Newcastle which they cancelled. Didn’t have much luck!

Thanks for posting.

• February 25, 2011 2:58 pm

Wow that’s awesome Lee, I bet you treasure that promo, vinyl and cassette! Great tip about the Lost Years 2 and the extra track, I’ll go check mine!