Limahl Only for Love US Video Exclusive

January 23, 2012

Limahl – Only for Love – US Video Exclusive!!!!

Here at KajaFax, it gives us great pleasure to pull together a resource of everything related to the band and it’s members.  Nothing though, gives us more pleasure than finding a real piece of treasure and sharing it with you all.

Once in a while, we’ll get the absolute thrill of finding something that has yet to be unearthed and today, we have that thrill.

What we have managed to uncover is the EMI America video for the single, ‘Only for Love’.  It’s an understatement to say this video is rare and very different from the video that EMI put out in the UK.

After finding a very sketchy reference to a US version of this video on the web, our very own super sleuth Steve Y did some detective work, and managed to catch up with a chap who had this nugget tucked away in his personal collection.  This was on U-matic format which is the format used by the TV companies and thus broadcast standard.

After discussion, we negotiated a deal for the content and what we have here really is an exclusive and a real piece of Limahl history unearthed.  A far as we know, this video was hardly used and has rarely been seen.

Before we continue, please sit back and enjoy the EMI America video for ‘Only for Love’:

And then refresh your memory of the UK video:

The US video is such a fantastic piece. It’s very well put together, on a big budget, and the kind of big scale video to rival any clip from any other top recording artist of the time.  This is a proper video, shot in a James Bond style, featuring a very sophisticated looking Limahl with guns, speedboats and helicopters!

The UK video was so utterly different by comparison .  Why on earth did EMI UK not release this video and push this image for Limahl?

The sophisticated US Limahl look

The well established Limahl look for the UK

Same single, two very different styles.  We’d love to know why this was, and how and why this video never made the light of day.  Can anyone say they’ve seen this video before?

We truly hope you enjoy watching this clip.  I sat watching in a stunned silence, thinking ‘where on earth has he got this from’ so I can only imagine the delight that Steve Y felt when he struck gold!

Also, enjoy some stills from the video:

We’d also love to hear the thoughts from Limahl on it…when was the last time you saw this?

2012 KajaFax

1. J'nae Rae Spano permalink
    January 23, 2012 6:47 am

Considering how much time I spent watching MTV back then, nope NEVER saw it! I certainly would have remembered if I had.

• January 23, 2012 9:15 am

Thanks J’nae. What are your thoughts on this video and how different it is the video we do know for this track and why it was never put out there?

• J'nae Rae Spano permalink
        January 24, 2012 3:31 pm

Very “Miami Vice” in feel. The other one is more quirky fun. This one is more action orientated. I have no idea why it was never put out there. Maybe the song would have done better here had they released it. It’s been my opinion since I stumbled across “Don’t Suppose” in the ships store in Dec 87 and bought the cassette, that someone seriously dropped the ball on promoting him over here.

2. Harry permalink
    January 23, 2012 7:23 am

OMG!

3. Kazaa permalink
    January 23, 2012 7:58 am

awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. January 23, 2012 10:33 am

I couldn’t believe my luck when I stumbled across this gem. I too had no idea of its existence and was pleased when I managed to hunt it down, especially in full broadcast standard. My first thoughts were how classy the video was compared to the UK version which looks cheap and gimmicky by comparison. This video brings so much to the song and I believe that if this video had been used in the UK, the track would have been a number one hit.

Classy.

5. Joanna permalink
    January 23, 2012 11:26 am

What a fantastic clip!!! But hey! It’s pretty evident that it was shot in 1985 or even 1986 due to Limahl’s hairdo. How come?? Was Only For Love released that year in US again? I’ve got my copy of 12” O.F.L. Maxi made in US and it says 1983 on the back. I’m confused…

• January 23, 2012 12:04 pm

Yup, I agree. The dress/hairstyle look very much in keeping with the Colour All My Days look rather than the ‘Don’t Suppose….’ era.

The video is superior in every way though isn’t it?

6. January 23, 2012 1:35 pm

This video is amazing! Thanks so much Kajafax! What a thrill to see a “new” video from that period. Limahl looks stunningly gorgeous and definitely from the 86 “era”. I love the quality of it too. What a treat!!!!! Thanks again!

7. JustM permalink
    January 23, 2012 1:50 pm

very cool video, in a “Miami Vice” style…

8. Angel permalink
    January 23, 2012 3:42 pm

Absolutely love the US video. Quite the change of image – that went with him through ‘Love In Your Eyes’ too. (the jacket too, LoL)
    In comparison, the UK video appears very ‘early 80s’, while the other one is so sophisticated.
    Maybe Chris could explain the differences in the videos.
    I guess they were made for two different markets, funky Miami and post new wave London. Both are cool, mind you – thanks to the classic UK suit & skinny tie in the UK vid!!!!

Cheers, guys

Arkhangael

January 23, 2012 5:01 pm

You can see that money has been spent on this version. It’s very James Bond. I can honestly say I have never seen it before today and well done to Mr Tiger for tracking down 😉

• theraggedtiger permalink
      January 23, 2012 5:30 pm

Thanks Denny 🙂

I couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw it.

10. jeannie permalink
    January 23, 2012 5:23 pm

I love this!

11. Anders Graver Pedersen permalink
    January 23, 2012 6:01 pm

Wow!! what a great video.
    I remember to have seen some pictures from the video in a german magazine – pretty sure I still have it in storage somewhere.
    But how cool to finally see the video.
    I prefer it to the UK version 🙂
    I hope Limahl will comment on it at some point.

12. January 23, 2012 9:19 pm

We are so happy that everyone has enjoyed watching this video and giving comment on it, makes finding things like so much more fun!

13. January 23, 2012 9:39 pm

Well, I know someday I’m going to open an email from you that begins, ‘you’re not going to believe this…….’ 🙂

This would be hard to top, we did put that amazing demo tape out there aswell so things are out there for us to find 🙂

14. 5-r permalink
    January 23, 2012 9:55 pm

Nice video 😉

Only For Love (UK) #16 November 5, 1983
    Omly For Love (US) #51 July 20, 1985

Don’t Suppose… (UK) #63 December 1984
    Don’t Suppose… (US) #41 April 1985

…so this nice US video should be from 1985. (UK video is from 1983)

15. January 25, 2012 12:26 pm

We had such a good reaction from this clip – thanks to everybody who viewed the post and the video!

You may notice that the You Tube view stats have gone down to zero….I upgraded the clip to one of a better quality which is why it was reset from a couple of hundred to nil 🙂

Great viewing stats though over the day – Steve and I knew it would go down well!! 😉

16. Cris permalink
    January 25, 2012 9:08 pm

What a fantastic find guys… You are great as always. A big thank you!
    It’ s certainly vey well done, but for me there is no match with the REAL ’80s look of the UK video (things started to go dull for bands/singers look-wise [hair and clothes] from 1985 onwards as the New Wave creativity and colour started to wane…) and most of all, they forgot about the plot after starting out like bullets!!! Who is the girl after all? What happens to her? What does she exchange with the oriental guy? Does Limhl let her escape or is she captured? What is all the hunt fuss about?
    In the few minutes of the song, the UK video condenses a story + side plots + humour… Much better for me.

17. February 20, 2012 11:38 pm

CSI:1985? Not sure the date on this one, although with the helicopter, i am very tempted to say NCIS 😉 Loved it! Wish Limahl was in some cop shows! He would have done great! And no, can’t say i have ever seen or heard of this video…but what does my opinion count? I wasn’t even alive in the 80’s…but hey! I’m making up for lost time now!